The Top Ten Things Pickleball Players Ask Us For…
Build pickleball courts? Start a pickleball club? How do we set up organized play for our club members? The following are top the ten pickleball questions we’re asked most frequently. Our responses may also lead you in the direction you want to go, or to someplace interesting, at least. (Note: the link-paths below are intentionally shown so you can see the organization of some of the sections, and the link-paths are shown at the top of each page for going back if you wanna.):
- Q: “The City has several unused tennis courts. We want them to convert them to pickleball. How do we work with the City on this?”
A: See our proposals (https://pickleball.biz/community/building-courts/partnering-to-build-courts/) and also click from that page (https://pickleball.biz/community/building-courts/partnering-to-build-courts/cities-and-parks-and-recreation-districts/) for more tools.
- Q: “We are gonna have to come up with some money to resurface and line the courts and put in new pickleball nets. How do we raise the money?”
A: There are lots of different ways to do this, of course. Begin here (https://pickleball.biz/community/funding-plans-for-pickleball-courts/) and then check out this document from the same page, which shows an interesting dialogue of sorts with Bend Parks and Recreation Department (reprinted here with their permission.) We’d be interested in your ideas on this one as well.
- Q: “Are sponsorships and grants available for building pickleball courts?”
A: Sometimes but it can be tough sledding. See (https://pickleball.biz/community/sponsors-and-grants/) Some of the overall story of how we did it in Bend, Oregon is told here. (https://pickleball.biz/community/the-bend-success-story/)
- Q: “Do we need to organize as a club for any reason?”
A: Maybe, maybe not. It depends. Some of our thinking is here. (https://pickleball.biz/club/pros-and-cons-of-clubs/) And if you decide “yes”, then you might want to check this out for examples of club bylaws. More to come on this one. (https://pickleball.biz/club/forming-the-club/)
- Q: “How do we organize play for our club members?”A: There are several forms of organized play described here, along with tools for making them work. These include Round Robins, Ladder Play and Shootouts among others. (https://pickleball.biz/club/club-programs/organized-play/)
- Q: “Our folks want training. Can you help?”
A: Does a fat dog tapdance? Of course we can help! Check out (https://pickleball.biz/skills/training/) for at least 15 or 20 different skills-based training classes from absolute beginner to advanced players. Or for coaching, go here.
- Q: “Is there a way to do skills-ratings in our club?”
A: Asked and answered. Go here for a complete manual ratings process. (https://pickleball.biz/club/club-programs/ratings-processes/) For a new service which may solve this problem even more easily, go here.
- Q: “I’d like to understand the strategy of the game. IS there one???”
A: Well, yeah, there are several. Here’s a start…with more to come. (https://pickleball.biz/skills/strategies/)
- Q: “We’re new and don’t know what paddles to buy. Any thoughts?”
A: You’re kidding, right? We have LOTS of thoughts about paddles. We don’t sell them or make money on referrals so we can share our innermost paddle thoughts here. (https://pickleball.biz/equipment-2/list-of-vendors/)
- Q: “So….what’s new??”
A: Hey, it’s always something! Check out the recent posts on the header of the page, see if there’s a link down below to a video that interests you, or cast an eye on our Interesting New Stuff section, which is changed frequently. For instance, we just added a section on the Simon Ball Machine complete with drills, other tools, and a bunch of other related information. (https://pickleball.biz/new-stuff/
Those are the current top ten, but if those don’t float your boat, tell us what will at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!